Best Actress is looking like a three horse race, but it is all still to play for to get those two other nominations and for an overall winner.
1. Julianne Moore: Still Alice- Moore’s performance in Toronto has given her massive buzz as she wasn’t even in the running before that. Yet, with a trailer yet to be released, we can’t make our minds up for ourselves, but is the current favourite, especially as she is yet to win an Academy Award.
2. Amy Adams: Big Eyes- She lost a bit of buzz as so little footage had been released as Toronto was going on, but the early favourite still has a reasonable shot as the trailer for Big Eyes was released last week. Like Moore, she has had a lot of nominations without a win, but this year could possibly be her year.
3. Reese Witherspoon: Wild- With massive acclaim coming from Telluride and Toronto, the Oscar winner has kept herself in the running and will still be a massive contender, at least picking up her second nomination at the Oscars.
4. Rosamund Pike: Gone Girl- After the premiere earlier in the week, this British actress has had large acclaim and could bag herself a nomination. The only question is if it’s leading or supporting, but she’ll likely get a nod either way.
5. Felicity Jones: The Theory of Everything- She impressed in last year’s The Invisible Woman and The Theory of Everything could get her attention from places other than the UK. It’s early days, but she could still grab a nomination.
Other Contenders: Jessica Chastain: The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby/A Most Violent Year, Hilary Swank: The Homesman, Shailene Woodley: The Fault in Our Stars, Angelina Jolie: Maleficent.