The best director race should be pretty straight forward on paper, but it is starting to turn into one of the hardest to call. Picking 5 Best Director nominees from 10 Best Picture nominees is always difficult and it is so far this awards season.
1. Richard Linklater: Boyhood- Linklater’s achievement with Boyhood is absolutely extraordinary and deserves every award going, but this is a strong field of contenders and could be pushed down as the awards season gets closer.
2. Bennett Miller: Foxcatcher- The winner at Cannes for Best Director has a strong shout for this award as he has more awards experience than his rivals and has reportedly done an excellent job with Foxcatcher.
3. Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu: Birdman- With his first real attempt at mainstream cinema, the nominee for Babel is likely to bag a nod for Birdman.
4. Angelina Jolie: Unbroken- With her first directing gig, we are still unsure whether Jolie can pull it off, but with a great story like Louis Zamperini’s, I think she will and get a nomination.
5. David Fincher: Gone Girl- He may get pushed out soon, but the two-time nominee is still in the running for Gone Girl.
Other Contenders: Christopher Nolan: Interstellar, Morten Tyldum: The Imitation Game, Paul Thomas Anderson: Inherent Vice, Ava DuVernay: Selma, Wes Anderson: The Grand Budapest Hotel.